Thursday 3 April 2008

The Club

I apologize for not being able to post my next entry sooner. I've been caught up with too much GCSE coursework, as I have to hand it in tomorrow and I haven't even finished it yet!

Anyway, I went to the 'open evening' last week which the club holds every Friday. During the open evening anyone can come, pay £3 and stay as long as they like. It was interesting to see what the place is like, the people, etc.

My dad came with me, so we took a table for ourselves. There were plenty of 'em; around 15 if I remember correctly. Anyway, we started knocking up and after about two rallies my dad said, "Are you sure about that grip?" He was, of course, talking about my penhold grip. I think he must be some sort of miracle-worker because although I didn't realize it at first, that grip was holding me back.

Then, one of the coaches came over and said a similar thing, although it was more like, "Don't use this grip, use this grip." Then I was introduced (well, more like 'converted') to the shakehand grip. I was surprised to find that it made a huge difference to how I played. I thought I was playing well before, but I was wrong. That was against school kids, this was against my dad!

Anyway, the coach continued to give me a few hints on the basics of footwork, pushing and looping. Because I've never had any coaching of any sort before this really helped. Now I feel I've improved significantly.

Well, gotta go to school now. See ya!

No comments: